Thursday 22 September 2016

Me and My Acne

             

Did you know that June is Acne Awareness Month, and September is National Skin Care Awareness Month? I didn’t.

I battled acne for years, so I did not need one specific week or month to be reminded of how debilitating it is. My acne was all I saw or heard about, so I walked looking down to avoid making eye contact with judgmental people. While I knew better than to let my acne define me, I still felt like it robbed me of my dignity and self-worth.

In the past, when I met someone, the first thing I noticed about them was their skin. It surprised (and somewhat irritated) me every time they said, “Oh I use anything on my face, my skin is not sensitive and I’ve never had issues with acne.”

The question, “What is going on with your skin?” was soon followed by all sorts of suggested remedies to treat my acne. I politely nodded, confirmed that I had used most of these “tried and true” remedies, and proceeded to die a little more inside.



I started developing acne at age 12 or 13, due to hormonal changes. Back then, things were very different and I clearly did not know any better. Prior to developing acne, the soap I used on my body was what I used on my face. I did not use a facial wash or toner, nor did I use sunscreen. The moisturizer I used on my face was not designed to manage acne.

My mother and I developed a plan to eliminate my acne, which included drinking plenty of water, eating fresh fruit and vegetables, applying organic masks, steaming my face, using minimal and mild skin-care products, and so on. There were good days and there were terrible days. On the bad days, I could hear my acne mercilessly mocking me.

As the years progressed, I started developing acne on my upper shoulders that left unsightly dark blemishes on my skin. I could not wear sleeveless tops even in the uncomfortable hot weather because it was not worth the gasps from everyone who saw my acne scars.

I started using a prescription acne ointment that I firmly believe came from the putrid bowels of hell. Within three days of using this product, my skin cleared up. Not one pimple survived. Within a week or two, the blemishes on my face and upper back had disappeared. I cannot describe the joy I felt or the smirk on my face when I wore my sleeveless tops and dresses.  I should have known that my joy would be short-lived, particularly when I started noticing the serious side effects of the ointment.
1)      More than three people complimented me on my amazing skin while indicating that I was becoming fairer.
2)      Fine hair started growing on the corners of my mouth.
3)      The ointment contained steroids, hence its ability to work so fast.

 I immediately stopped using the ointment. I had no desire to use a product with steroids that was lightening my skin, nor did I want to ingest the toxic chemicals found in skin-lightening products.

Abruptly stopping its use led to my skin attempting to revert to its original tone, which left my skin light in some places and dark in others. I also developed acne blemishes on my forehead, cheeks, and chin that were far worse than what I had before using the ointment. I looked like someone had used my face as a dart board. After several trips to the doctor’s office, I started taking prescription oral medications that gave me terrible vertigo and also used topical acne products that I later found out contained ingredients associated with various forms of cancer.

My mother and I agreed that I needed to stop using/taking every prescription acne product, save for a mild fragrance-free soap, 100% pure Aloe Vera skin gel, and sunscreen. It took weeks of using the gel, but my skin completely cleared up. I later switched to using the Clean and Clear wash and toner. At some point, I started using Proactive which worked wonderfully but switched back to Clean and Clear.



According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne affects up to 50 million people in the U.S.  A key thing I learned is that early diagnosis and treatment are imperative to prevent long-term skin issues.

Considering that skin is our largest organ, it goes without saying that we need to take very good care of it so it can perform its various jobs well.

When it comes to acne, a one-size-fits-all treatment approach is unrealistic. I’ve not experienced acne in many years, thanks to my diet and skin-care routine. Everyone’s body, health, and skin are very different, so what worked for me will not necessarily work for someone else. Regardless, what worked for me is as follows:

Diet
I drink between 6-8 glasses of water each day.

I do not eat a lot of red meat and chicken, and prefer fish. If I eat beef and chicken, I do my best to buy meat that is free of antibiotics and hormones.
My diet consists of soups, salads, and fresh organic fruits and vegetables. I always believed that organic foods would break my budget, but discovered this is not the case.

I prefer to take my fruits and vegetables in smoothie form for the most part, so I can get the full nutrients while taking the recommended amount of fruit and vegetables per day. The book, “Simple Green Smoothies” by Jen Hansard and Jadah Sellner is a great resource for smoothies. You may also visit their website via this link.

Products
I always visit the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) website for invaluable information on cosmetics, food scores, healthy cleaning, and pesticides in produce, among other tips. Before I buy any personal care products, I look them up on EWG to see product ratings based on their ingredients. I use:

1.      Facial Wash: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for all skin types
2.      Toner: Clean and Clear
3.      Moisturizer: Simple Skincare Protecting Light Moisturizer SPF 15
4.      Facial Scrub: St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub

At night, I apply a home-made product that I made using frankincense oil, pure aloe vera gel, pure shea butter oil, pure coconut oil, and vitamin E mixed together. My skin absolutely loves this product and is noticeably softer and smoother. I am also in the process of transitioning to organic hair care and make-up products.



Stress
I do my very best to manage stress because this definitely contributed to my acne breakouts in high school and college. Having a regular exercise routine, on top of engaging in fun activities with loved ones creates an important work-life balance for me.

Acne has the capacity to cause depression (particularly for those who are bullied or teased), low self-esteem, anxiety, and permanent damage to the skin. But it does not have to define you. Remember these three important things:

·         Respect your process. It took time for me to find the remedy/routine that worked for my skin, and I certainly was not as patient as I could have been with my process. Frustration and a lack of patience contributed to more stress which made my acne worse. In addition, I was so anxious to eliminate my acne that I thoughtlessly started using an ointment that could have seriously harmed my health in the long-term.
·         Be patient with others. Most people meant well when they gave me unsolicited advice on acne treatments. It was annoying because I already felt bad and was drowning in information and advice. I learned to speak up and let people know that while I appreciated their advice, I needed a break from hearing about the one thing that occupied 99% of my thoughts.
·         Be kind to yourself. I thought my acne made me unattractive. Such thoughts were harmful since they manifested physically and emotionally. Constant self-affirmation and support from loved ones gave me the confidence I needed to not allow my acne to consume me.



 References

1.      Zaega- Beauty You Can Trust (2016). Retrieved August 22, 2016: http://www.zaega.com/your-skins-most-important-jobs-6-ways-your-skin-is-working-for-you.html
2.      Hansard, J. and Sellner, J. (2015). Simple Green Smoothies: 100+ Tasty Recipes to Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Feel Great in Your Body.
3.      Hansard, J. and Sellner, J. (2016). Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://simplegreensmoothies.com/
4.      Environmental Working Group (2016). http://www.ewg.org/consumer-guides
5.      Cetaphil (2016). Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.cetaphil.com/gentle-skin-cleanser
6.      Clean and Clear (2016). Retrieved August 26, 2016: https://www.cleanandclear.com/astringents-toners/essentials-deep-cleaning-astringent
7.      Simple Skincare (2016). Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.simpleskincare.com/our-products/product/protecting-light-moisturizer-spf-15.html
8.      St. Ives (2016). Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.stives.com/product/detail/361679/fresh-skin-apricot-scrub
9.      American Academy of Dermatology. (2016). Acne. Retrieved August 27, 2016: https://www.aad.org/media/stats/conditions


Images
1.      Acne.com. (2016). How to Recognize All the Different Signs of Acne [Image], Retrieved August 27, 2016: http://www.acne.com/types-of-acne/acne-signs/
2.      Skinpossible. (2016). Say “Goodbye” to Acne and Acne Scars! [Image], Retrieved August 27, 2016: http://www.skinpossible.ca/calgary-acne-and-acne-scars.html
3.      Cetaphil (2016). [Image], Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.cetaphil.com/gentle-skin-cleanser
4.      Clean and Clear (2016). [Image], Retrieved August 26, 2016: https://www.cleanandclear.com/astringents-toners/essentials-deep-cleaning-astringent
5.      Simple Skincare (2016). [Image], Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.simpleskincare.com/our-products/product/protecting-light-moisturizer-spf-15.html

6.      St. Ives (2016). [Image], Retrieved August 26, 2016: http://www.stives.com/product/detail/361679/fresh-skin-apricot-scrub



No comments:

Post a Comment